The Project Management Institute’s PMO of the Year Award honors a PMO that has demonstrated superior organizational project management abilities by adding value to its organization through its support of successful strategic initiatives. I had the pleasure to interview Sarina Arcari, VP of Business Solutions at Wellpoint, whose PMO has taken the top honor. The award recognizes Sarina and her PMO for establishing a vision for value delivery and having a positive and clear impact on business results.
Sarina is one of those exceptional leaders who have the rare combination of strategic vision, operational excellence, and people leadership skills. This interview shows how, under her leadership, she built an award winning PMO that successfully navigated the challenges of a restructured marketplace, economic and social trends that caused massive change, an acquisition, and portfolio that doubled in size – all in less than three years.
I asked Sarina the following questions:
- Give us a general overview of WellPoint and the Government Business Division.
- What were some of the challenges facing the WellPoint as it planned for the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)?
- Talk about the Implementation Management Office (IMO) that originated as part of Amerigroup Corporation?
- How did WellPoint meet these challenges?
- How has Implementation Management Office evolved into what it is today under WellPoint’s Government Business Division.
- How does the implementation methodology developed and practiced by the Government Business Division IMO serve as a competitive advantage (winning government RFPs for example) and contributes to the overall success of the organization?
- Talk about the IMO framework:
- How is the PMO structured?
- Talk about how different roles within the IMO and how they are involved as initiatives move from strategic planning to the execution phase to project closure?
- Can you share some of the best practices you have adopted as part of the IMO framework?
- How does the PMO support career development for Mid- and junior-level talent?
About Sarina Arcari:
Drawing upon more than two decades of managed health care experience, Sarina assures delivery of a $6+billion dollar new business implementation portfolio providing enterprise-wide program management services within Anthem Inc.’s Government Business Division. Additionally, she oversees the Account Management & Contract Performance Optimization departments in support of ongoing division operations.
Sarina holds a BS in Marketing from the University of Connecticut & is currently pursuing her Masters in Program & Project Management from Brandeis University. She is a graduate of the Anthony Robbins Mastery University, certified Robbins Research International peak performance coach & a member of the International Society for Performance Improvement.
Sarina is a member of the Project Management Institute, a certified Project Management Professional & has served on the Board of Directors for the Hampton Roads Chapter of PMI. She is a member of the 2015 PMI Leadership Institute Master Class and her Implementation Management Office is the winner of the 2014 PMI PMO of the Year Award.
- Website: www.PMOMastery.com
- Our opening and closing theme song is “Habana” by Eliel Lazo www.eliellazo.com/buycds.htm.